• Policy Definition & Synonyms
- () One that covers a group or class of things or properties instead of one or more things mentioned individually, as where a mortgage secures various debts as a group, or subjects a group or class of different pieces of property to one general lien.
- (v. t.) To regulate by laws; to reduce to order.
- (n.) The writing or instrument in which a contract of insurance is embodied; an instrument in writing containing the terms and conditions on which one party engages to indemnify another against loss arising from certain hazards, perils, or risks to which his person or property may be exposed. See Insurance.
- (n.) A ticket or warrant for money in the public funds.
- (n.) The method by which any institution is administered; system of management; course.
- (n.) The settled method by which the government and affairs of a nation are, or may be, administered; a system of public or official administration, as designed to promote the external or internal prosperity of a state.
- (n.) Prudence or wisdom in the management of public and private affairs; wisdom; sagacity; wit.
- (n.) Motive; object; inducement.
- (n.) A method of gambling by betting as to what numbers will be drawn in a lottery; as, to play policy.
- (n.) Civil polity.
- (n.) Management or administration based on temporal or material interest, rather than on principles of equity or honor; hence, worldly wisdom; dexterity of management; cunning; stratagem.
• Policying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Policy