• Porgies Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Porgy
• Porgy Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any one of numerous sparoid food fishes, as the jolthead porgy, the sheepshead porgy (Calamus penna) of the West Indies, the grass porgy (Calamus arctifrons) of Florida, and the red porgy (Pagrus pagrus) of Europe.
- (n.) The margate fish.
- (n.) The scup.
- (n.) Any one of several species of embiotocoids, or surf fishes, of the Pacific coast. The name is also given locally to several other fishes, as the bur fish.
- (n.) The sailors choice, or pinfish.
- (n.) The spadefish.