• Pounding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Pound
- (n.) A pounded or pulverized substance.
- (n.) The act of beating, bruising, or breaking up; a beating.
• Pound Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To strike heavy blows; to beat.
- (v. t.) To strike repeatedly with some heavy instrument; to beat.
- (n.) A kind of net, having a large inclosure with a narrow entrance into which fish are directed by wings spreading outward.
- (pl. ) of Pound
- (n.) A British denomination of money of account, equivalent to twenty shillings sterling, and equal in value to about $4.86. There is no coin known by this name, but the gold sovereign is of the same value.
- (n.) A level stretch in a canal between locks.
- (v. t.) To comminute and pulverize by beating; to bruise or break into fine particles with a pestle or other heavy instrument; as, to pound spice or salt.
- (n.) A certain specified weight; especially, a legal standard consisting of an established number of ounces.
- (v. t.) To confine in, or as in, a pound; to impound.
- (n.) An inclosure, maintained by public authority, in which cattle or other animals are confined when taken in trespassing, or when going at large in violation of law; a pinfold.
- (v. i.) To make a jarring noise, as in running; as, the engine pounds.