• Prided Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pride
• Pride Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Proud or disdainful behavior or treatment; insolence or arrogance of demeanor; haughty bearing and conduct; insolent exultation; disdain.
- (n.) The quality or state of being proud; inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of ones own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, rank, etc., which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.
- (n.) Show; ostentation; glory.
- (n.) A small European lamprey (Petromyzon branchialis); -- called also prid, and sandpiper.
- (n.) A sense of ones own worth, and abhorrence of what is beneath or unworthy of one; lofty self-respect; noble self-esteem; elevation of character; dignified bearing; proud delight; -- in a good sense.
- (v. t.) To indulge in pride, or self-esteem; to rate highly; to plume; -- used reflexively.
- (n.) That of which one is proud; that which excites boasting or self-gratulation; the occasion or ground of self-esteem, or of arrogant and presumptuous confidence, as beauty, ornament, noble character, children, etc.
- (v. i.) To be proud; to glory.
- (n.) Consciousness of power; fullness of animal spirits; mettle; wantonness; hence, lust; sexual desire; esp., an excitement of sexual appetite in a female beast.
- (n.) Highest pitch; elevation reached; loftiness; prime; glory; as, to be in the pride of ones life.