• Primary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Earliest formed; fundamental.
- (n.) That which stands first in order, rank, or importance; a chief matter.
- (a.) First in order of time or development or in intention; primitive; fundamental; original.
- (n.) A primary meeting; a caucus.
- (a.) First in order, as being preparatory to something higher; as, primary assemblies; primary schools.
- (a.) First in dignity or importance; chief; principal; as, primary planets; a matter of primary importance.
- (a.) Illustrating, possessing, or characterized by, some quality or property in the first degree; having undergone the first stage of substitution or replacement.
- (n.) A primary planet; the brighter component of a double star. See under Planet.
- (n.) One of the large feathers on the distal joint of a birds wing. See Plumage, and Illust. of Bird.