• Progressive Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the Progressive party.
- (a.) Moving forward; proceeding onward; advancing; evincing progress; increasing; as, progressive motion or course; -- opposed to retrograde.
- (a.) Improving; as, art is in a progressive state.
• Progressive party Definition & Synonyms
- () The political party formed, chiefly out of the Republican party, by the adherents of Theodore Roosevelt in the presidential campaign of 1912. The name Progressive party was chosen at the meeting held on Aug. 7, 1912, when the candidates were nominated and the platform adopted. Among the chief articles in the platform are those demanding direct primaries, preferential primaries for presidential nominations, direct election of United States senators, womens suffrage, and recall of judicial decisions in certain cases.