• Purled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Purl
• Purl Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A tern.
- (n.) An embroidered and puckered border; a hem or fringe, often of gold or silver twist; also, a pleat or fold, as of a band.
- (n.) A circle made by the notion of a fluid; an eddy; a ripple.
- (n.) Malt liquor, medicated or spiced; formerly, ale or beer in which wormwood or other bitter herbs had been infused, and which was regarded as tonic; at present, hot beer mixed with gin, sugar, and spices.
- (n.) A gentle murmur, as that produced by the running of a liquid among obstructions; as, the purl of a brook.
- (v. i.) To run swiftly round, as a small stream flowing among stones or other obstructions; to eddy; also, to make a murmuring sound, as water does in running over or through obstructions.
- (v. & n.) To rise in circles, ripples, or undulations; to curl; to mantle.
- (v. t.) To decorate with fringe or embroidery.
- (n.) An inversion of stitches in knitting, which gives to the work a ribbed or waved appearance.