• Resisting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Resist
- (a.) Making resistance; opposing; as, a resisting medium.
• Resist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Something that resists or prevents a certain action;
- (n.) A substance applied to a surface, as of metal, to prevent the action on it of acid or other chemical agent.
- (v. t.) To be distasteful to.
- (v. i.) To make opposition.
- (v. t.) To counteract, as a force, by inertia or reaction.
- (v. t.) To stand against; to withstand; to obstruct.
- (n.) A substance used to prevent a color or mordant from fixing on those parts to which it has been applied, either by acting machanically in preventing the color, etc., from reaching the cloth, or chemically in changing the color so as to render it incapable of fixing itself in the fibers.. The pastes prepared for this purpose are called resist pastes.
- (v. t.) To strive against; to endeavor to counteract, defeat, or frustrate; to act in opposition to; to oppose.