• Retard Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To put off; to postpone; as, to retard the attacks of old age; to retard a rupture between nations.
- (v. i.) To stay back.
- (n.) Retardation; delay.
- (v. t.) To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder; as, to retard the march of an army; to retard the motion of a ship; -- opposed to accelerate.
• Retarded Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Retard
• Retarder Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A substance, as potassium bromide, added to a developer to retard its action.
- (n.) Any of various devices, as a helix of flat metal strip, introduced into a boiler tube to increase the heating effect of the fire.
- (n.) One who, or that which, retards.
• Retardment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of retarding; retardation.