• Rocking Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Rock
- (a.) Having a swaying, rolling, or back-and-forth movement; used for rocking.
• Rock Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A large concreted mass of stony material; a large fixed stone or crag. See Stone.
- (n.) Any natural deposit forming a part of the earths crust, whether consolidated or not, including sand, earth, clay, etc., when in natural beds.
- (v. i.) To move or be moved backward and forward; to be violently agitated; to reel; to totter.
- (v. t.) To move as in a cradle; hence, to put to sleep by rocking; to still; to quiet.
- (n.) Fig.: Anything which causes a disaster or wreck resembling the wreck of a vessel upon a rock.
- (v. t.) To cause to sway backward and forward, as a body resting on a support beneath; as, to rock a cradle or chair; to cause to vibrate; to cause to reel or totter.
- (n.) The striped bass. See under Bass.
- (n.) That which resembles a rock in firmness; a defense; a support; a refuge.
- (n.) See Roc.
- (n.) A distaff used in spinning; the staff or frame about which flax is arranged, and from which the thread is drawn in spinning.
- (v. i.) To roll or saway backward and forward upon a support; as, to rock in a rocking-chair.
• Rocking-chair Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A chair mounted on rockers, in which one may rock.
• Rocking-stone Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A stone, often of great size and weight, resting upon another stone, and so exactly poised that it can be rocked, or slightly moved, with but little force.