• Scalloped Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Baked in a scallop; cooked with crumbs.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Scallop
- (a.) Furnished with a scallop; made or done with or in a scallop.
- (a.) Having the edge or border cut or marked with segments of circles. See Scallop, n., 2.
• Scallop Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To bake in scallop shells or dishes; to prepare with crumbs of bread or cracker, and bake. See Scalloped oysters, below.
- (v. t.) To mark or cut the edge or border of into segments of circles, like the edge or surface of a scallop shell. See Scallop, n., 2.
- (n.) One of series of segments of circles joined at their extremities, forming a border like the edge or surface of a scallop shell.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of marine bivalve mollusks of the genus Pecten and allied genera of the family Pectinidae. The shell is usually radially ribbed, and the edge is therefore often undulated in a characteristic manner. The large adductor muscle of some the species is much used as food. One species (Vola Jacobaeus) occurs on the coast of Palestine, and its shell was formerly worn by pilgrims as a mark that they had been to the Holy Land. Called also fan shell. See Pecten, 2.
- (n.) One of the shells of a scallop; also, a dish resembling a scallop shell.