• Seconding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Second
• Second Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) To follow in the next place; to succeed; to alternate.
- (a.) Immediately following the first; next to the first in order of place or time; hence, occuring again; another; other.
- (a.) Specifically, to support, as a motion or proposal, by adding ones voice to that of the mover or proposer.
- (n.) One who, or that which, follows, or comes after; one next and inferior in place, time, rank, importance, excellence, or power.
- (a.) In the duodecimal system of mensuration, the twelfth part of an inch or prime; a line. See Inch, and Prime, n., 8.
- (a.) To follow or attend for the purpose of assisting; to support; to back; to act as the second of; to assist; to forward; to encourage.
- (n.) One who follows or attends another for his support and aid; a backer; an assistant; specifically, one who acts as anothers aid in a duel.
- (a.) Being of the same kind as another that has preceded; another, like a protype; as, a second Cato; a second Troy; a second deluge.
- (a.) The sixtieth part of a minute of time or of a minute of space, that is, the second regular subdivision of the degree; as, sound moves about 1,140 English feet in a second; five minutes and ten seconds north of this place.
- (n.) Aid; assistance; help.
- (n.) An article of merchandise of a grade inferior to the best; esp., a coarse or inferior kind of flour.
- (n.) The second part in a concerted piece; -- often popularly applied to the alto.
- (a.) Next to the first in value, power, excellence, dignity, or rank; secondary; subordinate; inferior.
- (n.) The interval between any tone and the tone which is represented on the degree of the staff next above it.