• Sentiment Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) A sentence, or passage, considered as the expression of a thought; a maxim; a saying; a toast.
- (a.) Sensibility; feeling; tender susceptibility.
- (a.) A thought prompted by passion or feeling; a state of mind in view of some subject; feeling toward or respecting some person or thing; disposition prompting to action or expression.
- (a.) Hence, generally, a decision of the mind formed by deliberation or reasoning; thought; opinion; notion; judgment; as, to express ones sentiments on a subject.
• Sentimental Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Addressed or pleasing to the emotions only, usually to the weaker and the unregulated emotions.
- (a.) Inclined to sentiment; having an excess of sentiment or sensibility; indulging the sensibilities for their own sake; artificially or affectedly tender; -- often in a reproachful sense.
- (a.) Having, expressing, or containing a sentiment or sentiments; abounding with moral reflections; containing a moral reflection; didactic.
• Sentimentalism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality of being sentimental; the character or behavior of a sentimentalist; sentimentality.