• Sharpening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sharpen
• Sharpen Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) To raise, as a sound, by means of a sharp; to apply a sharp to.
- (a.) To make sharp.
- (a.) To make more eager; as, to sharpen mens desires.
- (a.) To render more shrill or piercing.
- (v. i.) To grow or become sharp.
- (a.) To render more quick or acute in perception; to make more ready or ingenious.
- (a.) To make biting, sarcastic, or severe.
- (a.) To make more tart or acid; to make sour; as, the rays of the sun sharpen vinegar.
- (a.) To give a keen edge or fine point to; to make sharper; as, to sharpen an ax, or the teeth of a saw.
- (a.) To make more pungent and intense; as, to sharpen a pain or disease.