• Short-circuit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To join, as the electrodes of a battery or dynamo or any two points of a circuit, by a conductor of low resistance.
• Short-handed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Short of, or lacking the regular number of, servants or helpers.
• Short-jointed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having short intervals between the joints; -- said of a plant or an animal, especially of a horse whose pastern is too short.
• Short-wited Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having little wit; not wise; having scanty intellect or judgment.
• Shortclothes Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Coverings for the legs of men or boys, consisting of trousers which reach only to the knees, -- worn with long stockings.
• Shortening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shorten
- (n.) The act of making or becoming short or shorter.
- (n.) That which renders pastry short or friable, as butter, lard, etc.
• Short-lived Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Not living or lasting long; being of short continuance; as, a short-lived race of beings; short-lived pleasure; short-lived passion.
• Shortcoming Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The failure of a crop, or the like.
- (n.) Neglect of, or failure in, performance of duty.
- (n.) The act of falling, or coming short
• Shortage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Amount or extent of deficiency, as determined by some requirement or standard; as, a shortage in money accounts.
• Shorthand Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A compendious and rapid method or writing by substituting characters, abbreviations, or symbols, for letters, words, etc.; short writing; stenography. See Illust. under Phonography.