• Shot Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A single draft or catch of fish made.
- (n.) The entire throw of nets at one time.
- (n.) A spherical weight, to be put, or thrown, in competition for distance.
- (n.) A stroke or propulsive action in certain games, as in billiards, hockey, curling, etc.; also, a move, as in chess.
- (n.) A cast of a net.
- (n.) A guess; conjecture; also, an attempt.
- (n.) A place or spot for setting nets.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Shoot
- (n.) The flight of a missile, or the distance which it is, or can be, thrown; as, the vessel was distant more than a cannon shot.
- (v. t.) To load with shot, as a gun.
- (a.) Woven in such a way as to produce an effect of variegation, of changeable tints, or of being figured; as, shot silks. See Shoot, v. t., 8.
- () imp. & p. p. of Shoot.
- (v. t.) A share or proportion; a reckoning; a scot.
- (n.) The act of shooting; discharge of a firearm or other weapon which throws a missile.
- (n.) Small globular masses of lead, of various sizes, -- used chiefly for killing game; as, bird shot; buckshot.
- (n.) A missile weapon, particularly a ball or bullet; specifically, whatever is discharged as a projectile from firearms or cannon by the force of an explosive.
- (n.) A marksman; one who practices shooting; as, an exellent shot.
- (pl. ) of Shot
• Shot-clog Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A person tolerated only because he pays the shot, or reckoning, for the rest of the company, otherwise a mere clog on them.
• Shotten Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Having ejected the spawn; as, a shotten herring.
- () of Shoot
- (n.) Shot out of its socket; dislocated, as a bone.