• Shun Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To avoid; to keep clear of; to get out of the way of; to escape from; to eschew; as, to shun rocks, shoals, vice.
• Shunt Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A conducting circuit joining two points in a conductor, or the terminals of a galvanometer or dynamo, so as to form a parallel or derived circuit through which a portion of the current may pass, for the purpose of regulating the amount passing in the main circuit.
- (v. i.) To go aside; to turn off.
- (v. t.) To cause to move suddenly; to give a sudden start to; to shove.
- (v. t.) To shun; to move from.
- (v. t.) To turn off to one side; especially, to turn off, as a grain or a car upon a side track; to switch off; to shift.
- (v. t.) To provide with a shunt; as, to shunt a galvanometer.
- (v. t.) The shifting of the studs on a projectile from the deep to the shallow sides of the grooves in its discharge from a shunt gun.
- (v. t.) A turning off to a side or short track, that the principal track may be left free.
• Shunting Definition & Synonyms
- (vb. n.) Arbitrage conducted between certain local markets without the necessity of the exchange involved in foreign arbitrage.
- (vb. n.) Switching; as, shunting engine, yard, etc.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shunt