• Soften Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To become soft or softened, or less rude, harsh, severe, or obdurate.
- (v. t.) To mollify; to make less fierce or intractable.
- (v. t.) To compose; to mitigate; to assuage.
- (v. t.) To make soft or more soft.
- (v. t.) To palliate; to represent as less enormous; as, to soften a fault.
- (v. t.) To make less glaring; to tone down; as, to soften the coloring of a picture.
- (v. t.) To make tender; to make effeminate; to enervate; as, troops softened by luxury.
- (v. t.) To make less harsh or grating, or of a quality the opposite; as, to soften the voice.
- (v. t.) To render less hard; -- said of matter.
- (v. t.) To make less harsh, less rude, less offensive, or less violent, or to render of an opposite quality.
• Softened Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Soften