• Substantive Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A noun or name; the part of speech which designates something that exists, or some object of thought, either material or immaterial; as, the words man, horse, city, goodness, excellence, are substantives.
- (a.) Pertaining to, or constituting, the essential part or principles; as, the law substantive.
- (a.) Betokening or expressing existence; as, the substantive verb, that is, the verb to be.
- (v. t.) To substantivize.
- (a.) Depending on itself; independent.
- (a.) Enduring; solid; firm; substantial.
• Substantively Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) As a substantive, name, or noun; as, an adjective may be used substantively.
- (adv.) In a substantive manner; in substance; essentially.
• Substantiveness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being substantive.