• Surf Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The swell of the sea which breaks upon the shore, esp. upon a sloping beach.
- (n.) The bottom of a drain.
• Surface Definition & Synonyms
- () A small plane or surface, usually capable of adjustment but not of manipulation, for preserving lateral balance in an aeroplane or flying machine.
- (n.) That part of the side which is terminated by the flank prolonged, and the angle of the nearest bastion.
- (n.) A magnitude that has length and breadth without thickness; superficies; as, a plane surface; a spherical surface.
- (n.) The exterior part of anything that has length and breadth; one of the limits that bound a solid, esp. the upper face; superficies; the outside; as, the surface of the earth; the surface of a diamond; the surface of the body.
- (n.) Hence, outward or external appearance.
- (v. t.) To give a surface to; especially, to cause to have a smooth or plain surface; to make smooth or plain.
- (v. t.) To work over the surface or soil of, as ground, in hunting for gold.
• Surface tension Definition & Synonyms
- () That property, due to molecular forces, which exists in the surface film of all liquids and tends to bring the contained volume into a form having the least superficial area. The thickness of this film, amounting to less than a thousandth of a millimeter, is considered to equal the radius of the sphere of molecular action, that is, the greatest distance at which there is cohesion between two particles. Particles lying below this film, being equally acted on from all sides, are in equilibrium as to forces of cohesion, but those in the film are on the whole attracted inward, and tension results.