• Survey Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To view with a scrutinizing eye; to examine.
- (n.) The act of surveying; a general view, as from above.
- (n.) The operation of finding the contour, dimensions, position, or other particulars of, as any part of the earths surface, whether land or water; also, a measured plan and description of any portion of country, or of a road or line through it.
- (v. t.) To inspect, or take a view of; to view with attention, as from a high place; to overlook; as, to stand on a hill, and survey the surrounding country.
- (v. t.) To examine and ascertain, as the boundaries and royalties of a manor, the tenure of the tenants, and the rent and value of the same.
- (v. t.) To determine the form, extent, position, etc., of, as a tract of land, a coast, harbor, or the like, by means of linear and angular measurments, and the application of the principles of geometry and trigonometry; as, to survey land or a coast.
- (n.) A particular view; an examination, especially an official examination, of all the parts or particulars of a thing, with a design to ascertain the condition, quantity, or quality; as, a survey of the stores of a ship; a survey of roads and bridges; a survey of buildings.
- (v. t.) To examine with reference to condition, situation, value, etc.; to examine and ascertain the state of; as, to survey a building in order to determine its value and exposure to loss by fire.
• Surveyor Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who surveys or measures land; one who practices the art of surveying.
- (n.) One who views and examines for the purpose of ascertaining the condition, quantity, or quality of anything; as, a surveyor of highways, ordnance, etc.
- (n.) In the United States, an officer whose duties include the various measures to be taken for ascertaining the quantity, condition, and value of merchandise brought into a port.
- (n.) An officer who ascertains the contents of casks, and the quantity of liquors subject to duty; a gauger.
- (n.) One placed to superintend others; an overseer; an inspector.
• Surveying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Survey
- (n.) That branch of applied mathematics which teaches the art of determining the area of any portion of the earths surface, the length and directions of the bounding lines, the contour of the surface, etc., with an accurate delineation of the whole on paper; the act or occupation of making surveys.