• Swayed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Bent down, and hollow in the back; sway-backed; -- said of a horse.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Sway
• Sway Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A switch or rod used by thatchers to bind their work.
- (v. i.) To move or swing from side to side; or backward and forward.
- (n.) Rule; dominion; control.
- (n.) Preponderance; turn or cast of balance.
- (n.) Influence, weight, or authority that inclines to one side; as, the sway of desires.
- (v. i.) To cause to incline or swing to one side, or backward and forward; to bias; to turn; to bend; warp; as, reeds swayed by wind; judgment swayed by passion.
- (n.) The act of swaying; a swaying motion; the swing or sweep of a weapon.
- (v. i.) To bear sway; to rule; to govern.
- (v. i.) To hoist; as, to sway up the yards.
- (v. i.) To move or wield with the hand; to swing; to wield; as, to sway the scepter.
- (v. i.) To have weight or influence.
- (v. i.) To influence or direct by power and authority; by persuasion, or by moral force; to rule; to govern; to guide.
- (v. i.) To be drawn to one side by weight or influence; to lean; to incline.