Commission Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CommissionDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To give a commission to; to furnish with a commission; to empower or authorize; as, to commission persons to perform certain acts; to commission an officer.
- (n.) The brokerage or allowance made to a factor or agent for transacting business for another; as, a commission of ten per cent on sales. See Del credere.
- (n.) A formal written warrant or authority, granting certain powers or privileges and authorizing or commanding the performance of certain duties.
- (n.) The acting under authority of, or on account of, another.
- (n.) The duty or employment intrusted to any person or persons; a trust; a charge.
- (n.) A certificate conferring military or naval rank and authority; as, a colonels commission.
- (n.) A company of persons joined in the performance of some duty or the execution of some trust; as, the interstate commerce commission.
- (n.) The act of intrusting; a charge; instructions as to how a trust shall be executed.
- (n.) The thing to be done as agent for another; as, I have three commissions for the city.
- (v. t.) To send out with a charge or commission.
- (n.) The act of committing, doing, or performing; the act of perpetrating.
• CommissionaireDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One of a corps of pensioned soldiers, as in London, employed as doorkeepers, messengers, etc.
- (n.) One intrusted with a commission, now only a small commission, as an errand; esp., an attendant or subordinate employee in a public office, hotel, or the like.