Dip Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• DipDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To plunge or immerse; especially, to put for a moment into a liquid; to insert into a fluid and withdraw again.
- (v. i.) To dip snuff.
- (v. i.) To pierce; to penetrate; -- followed by in or into.
- (v. t.) To immerse for baptism; to baptize by immersion.
- (n.) A dipped candle.
- (v. t.) To engage as a pledge; to mortgage.
- (v. i.) To enter slightly or cursorily; to engage ones self desultorily or by the way; to partake limitedly; -- followed by in or into.
- (n.) The action of dipping or plunging for a moment into a liquid.
- (v. i.) To immerse ones self; to become plunged in a liquid; to sink.
- (v. t.) To take out, by dipping a dipper, ladle, or other receptacle, into a fluid and removing a part; -- often with out; as, to dip water from a boiler; to dip out water.
- (n.) Inclination downward; direction below a horizontal line; slope; pitch.
- (v. t.) To plunge or engage thoroughly in any affair.
- (v. t.) To wet, as if by immersing; to moisten.
- (v. i.) To perform the action of plunging some receptacle, as a dipper, ladle. etc.; into a liquid or a soft substance and removing a part.
- (n.) A liquid, as a sauce or gravy, served at table with a ladle or spoon.
- (v. i.) To incline downward from the plane of the horizon; as, strata of rock dip.
- (n.) A gymnastic exercise on the parallel bars in which the performer, resting on his hands, lets his arms bend and his body sink until his chin is level with the bars, and then raises himself by straightening his arms.
- (n.) In the turpentine industry, the viscid exudation, which is dipped out from incisions in the trees; as, virgin dip (the runnings of the first year), yellow dip (the runnings of subsequent years).
- (n.) A sudden drop followed by a climb, usually to avoid obstacles or as the result of getting into an airhole.
• DiphyozooidDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One of the free-swimming sexual zooids of Siphonophora.
• DiphtheriaDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A very dangerous contagious disease in which the air passages, and especially the throat, become coated with a false membrane, produced by the solidification of an inflammatory exudation. Cf. Group.