• Throwing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Throw
- () a. & n. from Throw, v.
• Throw Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The extreme movement given to a sliding or vibrating reciprocating piece by a cam, crank, eccentric, or the like; travel; stroke; as, the throw of a slide valve. Also, frequently, the length of the radius of a crank, or the eccentricity of an eccentric; as, the throw of the crank of a steam engine is equal to half the stroke of the piston.
- (n.) An effort; a violent sally.
- (n.) A potters wheel or table; a jigger. See 2d Jigger, 2 (a).
- (v. t.) To cause to take a strategic position; as, he threw a detachment of his army across the river.
- (n.) The distance which a missile is, or may be, thrown; as, a stones throw.
- (v. t.) To fling or cast in any manner; to drive to a distance from the hand or from an engine; to propel; to send; as, to throw stones or dust with the hand; a cannon throws a ball; a fire engine throws a stream of water to extinguish flames.
- (n.) Pain; especially, pain of travail; throe.
- (v. t.) To bring forth; to produce, as young; to bear; -- said especially of rabbits.
- (v. t.) To divest or strip ones self of; to put off.
- (v. t.) To drive by violence; as, a vessel or sailors may be thrown upon a rock.
- (v. t.) To cast, as dice; to venture at dice.
- (n.) The act of hurling or flinging; a driving or propelling from the hand or an engine; a cast.
- (n.) A stroke; a blow.
- (n.) A turners lathe; a throwe.
- (v. t.) To overturn; to prostrate in wrestling; as, a man throws his antagonist.
- (v. t.) To give forcible utterance to; to cast; to vent.
- (v. t.) To twist two or more filaments of, as silk, so as to form one thread; to twist together, as singles, in a direction contrary to the twist of the singles themselves; -- sometimes applied to the whole class of operations by which silk is prepared for the weaver.
- (v. t.) To fling, cast, or hurl with a certain whirling motion of the arm, to throw a ball; -- distinguished from to toss, or to bowl.
- (n.) A cast of dice; the manner in which dice fall when cast; as, a good throw.
- (v. t.) To form or shape roughly on a throwing engine, or potters wheel, as earthen vessels.
- (n.) Time; while; space of time; moment; trice.
- (v. i.) To perform the act of throwing or casting; to cast; specifically, to cast dice.
- (v. t.) To put on hastily; to spread carelessly.
- (n.) The amount of vertical displacement produced by a fault; -- according to the direction it is designated as an upthrow, or a downthrow.
• Throwe Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A turning lathe.
• Throwing stick Definition & Synonyms
- () An instrument used by various savage races for throwing a spear; -- called also throw stick and spear thrower. One end of the stick receives the butt of the spear, as upon a hook or thong, and the other end is grasped with the hand, which also holds the spear, toward the middle, above it with the finger and thumb, the effect being to bring the place of support nearer the center of the spear, and practically lengthen the arm in the act of throwing.