• Timbering Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of furnishing with timber; also, timbers, collectively; timberwork; timber.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Timber
• Timber Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Fig.: Material for any structure.
- (v. t.) To surmount as a timber does.
- (v. i.) To make a nest.
- (n.) The body, stem, or trunk of a tree.
- (n.) A certain quantity of fur skins, as of martens, ermines, sables, etc., packed between boards; being in some cases forty skins, in others one hundred and twenty; -- called also timmer.
- (n.) Woods or forest; wooden land.
- (v. t.) To furnish with timber; -- chiefly used in the past participle.
- (n.) That sort of wood which is proper for buildings or for tools, utensils, furniture, carriages, fences, ships, and the like; -- usually said of felled trees, but sometimes of those standing. Cf. Lumber, 3.
- (n.) A rib, or a curving piece of wood, branching outward from the keel and bending upward in a vertical direction. One timber is composed of several pieces united.
- (n.) A single piece or squared stick of wood intended for building, or already framed; collectively, the larger pieces or sticks of wood, forming the framework of a house, ship, or other structure, in distinction from the covering or boarding.
- (n.) The crest on a coat of arms.
- (v. i.) To light on a tree.