• Tug Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To pull or draw with great effort; to draw along with continued exertion; to haul along; to tow; as, to tug a loaded cart; to tug a ship into port.
- (n.) A trace, or drawing strap, of a harness.
- (v. i.) To labor; to strive; to struggle.
- (n.) A small, powerful steamboat used to tow vessels; -- called also steam tug, tugboat, and towboat.
- (v. t.) To pull; to pluck.
- (n.) A pull with the utmost effort, as in the athletic contest called tug of war; a supreme effort.
- (n.) A sort of vehicle, used for conveying timber and heavy articles.
- (v. i.) To pull with great effort; to strain in labor; as, to tug at the oar; to tug against the stream.
- (n.) An iron hook of a hoisting tub, to which a tackle is affixed.
• Tugger Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who tugs.