• Vignette Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A picture, illustration, or depiction in words, esp. one of a small or dainty kind.
- (n.) A decorative design, originally representing vine branches or tendrils, at the head of a chapter, of a manuscript or printed book, or in a similar position; hence, by extension, any small picture in a book; hence, also, as such pictures are often without a definite bounding line, any picture, as an engraving, a photograph, or the like, which vanishes gradually at the edge.
- (v. t.) To make, as an engraving or a photograph, with a border or edge insensibly fading away.
- (n.) A running ornament consisting of leaves and tendrils, used in Gothic architecture.
• Vignetter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A maker of vignettes.
- (n.) A device used by photographers in printing vignettes, consisting of a screen of paper or glass with a central aperture the edges of which become opaque by intensible gradations.