• Vocal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a vowel or voice sound; also, /poken with tone, intonation, and resonance; sonant; sonorous; -- said of certain articulate sounds.
- (n.) A vocal sound; specifically, a purely vocal element of speech, unmodified except by resonance; a vowel or a diphthong; a tonic element; a tonic; -- distinguished from a subvocal, and a nonvocal.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a vowel; having the character of a vowel; vowel.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the voice or speech; having voice; endowed with utterance; full of voice, or voices.
- (n.) A man who has a right to vote in certain elections.
- (a.) Uttered or modulated by the voice; oral; as, vocal melody; vocal prayer.
- (a.) Consisting of, or characterized by, voice, or tone produced in the larynx, which may be modified, either by resonance, as in the case of the vowels, or by obstructive action, as in certain consonants, such as v, l, etc., or by both, as in the nasals m, n, ng; sonant; intonated; voiced. See Voice, and Vowel, also Guide to Pronunciation, // 199-202.
• Vocalic Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to vowel sounds; consisting of the vowel sounds.