• Vortex Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of small Turbellaria belonging to Vortex and allied genera. See Illustration in Appendix.
- (n.) A mass of fluid, especially of a liquid, having a whirling or circular motion tending to form a cavity or vacuum in the center of the circle, and to draw in towards the center bodies subject to its action; the form assumed by a fluid in such motion; a whirlpool; an eddy.
- (n.) A supposed collection of particles of very subtile matter, endowed with a rapid rotary motion around an axis which was also the axis of a sun or a planet. Descartes attempted to account for the formation of the universe, and the movements of the bodies composing it, by a theory of vortices.
• Vortex line Definition & Synonyms
- () A line, within a rotating fluid, whose tangent at every point is the instantaneous axis of rotation as that point of the fluid.
• Vortex fringe Definition & Synonyms
- () The region immediately surrounding a disk moving flatwise through air; -- so called because the air has a cyclic motion as in vortex ring.