• Weeping Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Pertaining to lamentation, or those who weep.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Weep
- (a.) Having slender, pendent branches; -- said of trees; as, weeping willow; a weeping ash.
- (n.) The act of one who weeps; lamentation with tears; shedding of tears.
- (a.) Grieving; lamenting; shedding tears.
- (a.) Discharging water, or other liquid, in drops or very slowly; surcharged with water.
• Weep Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The lapwing; the wipe; -- so called from its cry.
- (v. i.) Formerly, to express sorrow, grief, or anguish, by outcry, or by other manifest signs; in modern use, to show grief or other passions by shedding tears; to shed tears; to cry.
- (v. t.) To lament; to bewail; to bemoan.
- (v. t.) To shed, or pour forth, as tears; to shed drop by drop, as if tears; as, to weep tears of joy.
- (v. i.) To drop water, or the like; to drip; to be soaked.
- (v. i.) To hang the branches, as if in sorrow; to be pendent; to droop; -- said of a plant or its branches.
- (v. i.) To flow in drops; to run in drops.
- (v. i.) To lament; to complain.
- () imp. of Weep, for wept.
• Weepingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a weeping manner.
• Weeping tree Definition & Synonyms
- () A tree from which honeydew or other liquid secretions of insects drip in considerable quantities, esp. one infested by the larvae of any species of the genus Ptylus, allied to the cuckoo spits, which in tropical countries secrete large quantities of a watery fluid.
- () Any tree having pendulous branches.