• Westing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The distance, reckoned toward the west, between the two meridians passing through the extremities of a course, or portion of a ships path; the departure of a course which lies to the west of north.
• West Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Designating, or situated in, that part of a church which is opposite to, and farthest from, the east, or the part containing the chancel and choir.
- (n.) The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to set at the equinox; or, the corresponding point on the earth; that one of the four cardinal points of the compass which is in a direction at right angles to that of north and south, and on the left hand of a person facing north; the point directly opposite to east.
- (a.) Lying toward the west; situated at the west, or in a western direction from the point of observation or reckoning; proceeding toward the west, or coming from the west; as, a west course is one toward the west; an east and west line; a west wind blows from the west.
- (n.) Formerly, that part of the United States west of the Alleghany mountains; now, commonly, the whole region west of the Mississippi river; esp., that part which is north of the Indian Territory, New Mexico, etc. Usually with the definite article.
- (adv.) Westward.
- (v. i.) To pass to the west; to set, as the sun.
- (n.) The Westen hemisphere, or the New World so called, it having been discovered by sailing westward from Europe; the Occident.
- (n.) A country, or region of country, which, with regard to some other country or region, is situated in the direction toward the west.
- (v. i.) To turn or move toward the west; to veer from the north or south toward the west.