v Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8-inch-diameter cake pan. Dust pan with flour; tap out excess.
2. Using electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup sugar and butter in large bowl until light and creamy. Add ground almond, beating until well blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Mix in almond extract and salt.
3. Mix flour and baking powder in small bowl; add to batter. Beat just until blended.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
5. Bake cake until top is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.
6. Transfer cake to platter. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.) Dust with powdered sugar and serve.