1. Slice the karelas and rub with salt.
2. Spread on a platter and leave in the sun for one hour.
3. Rinse in water thrice to remove the bitterness and salt.
4. Fry the karela in very hot oil.
5. Squeeze the lemon over it while frying. Remove and set aside.
6. In the same oil fry onions until light brown.
7. Move to one side and add garlic in the center of the pan, fry and add chillies and turmeric.
8. Blend in fried karela and mix well.
9. Add tomatoes and cook uncovered until tomatoes soften and liquid evaporates.