1) Take the bitter gourds and peel off the skin. Cut each bitter gourd long ways and de-seed them. Sprinkle salt all over the bitter gourds to cover them well with salt. Set aside for at least 3 hours (overnight if possible.)
2) With warm water wash the bitter gourds well and rinse them.
3) In a frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil. To the oil add the minced beef, 1 onion, 1 tomato, garlic and ginger, 1 teaspoon of red chili powder and 1 teaspoon of salt. Sauté well on medium heat until the beef is well cooked. (You may add a little water if necessary to prevent burning.)
4) Fill each bitter gourd with the minced beef. Then sew the bitter gourds with thread and a needle, so they do not open while frying. In a deep fryer, deep fry bitter gourds in oil on medium heat until they turn golden.
5) Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add 1 onion, 1 tomato, and 1 teaspoon of red chili powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ cup of water. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until the tomato gets soft and onion is transparent. Mash it with a spoon to make gravy. Add ¼ cup of oil and cook for another 5 minutes.
6) Add bitter gourds to the gravy and simmer for another five minutes on low heat. Garnish with chopped tomato, onion, green chili and coriander/cilantro leaves.