1. Weigh the ingredients according to the recipe and put them ready.
2. Grease the cake tin with butter and dust with flour.
3. Melt the butter in a small pan over a gentle heat.
4. Separate the yolks from the egg whites and put them two bowls.
5. Add the sugar to the yolks.
6. Whisk the yolks and suger over the saucepan of the hot water until thick.
7. remove the bowl of thick, whitish creamy mixture.
8. sift the flour on to the creamy egg mixture, do not stirr in
9. pour on the luke warm melted butter
10. using a different bowl, whisk the egg whites untill stiff
11. mix one third of the whisked egg white wth the yolk mixture
12. add the remaining whisked egg white to the fluffy mixture
13. mix together carefully, folding gently as you do so.
14. place the sponge mixture in the cake tin and smooth the surface
15. place the tin in the preheated oven
16. after approx 40 mnt the sponge should be ready
17. use the knife to separate the cake from the tin
18. put the wire rack on top of the cake while it is still warm
19. turn the sponge over, remove the base of the cake tin
20. leave the cake to cool for at least 1 hour.