1. Make chana of the milk and whey.
2. Add flour to the chana and knead it with the palms of the hands until it is smooth and pliable.
3. Divide the dough into eight or sixteen small portions.
4. In each portion put a grain or two of sugar candy and roll to form a ball.
5. Make thin syrup by combining 2 lb. Sugar and 3 pints water and cook over low heat.
6. Add 2 tbsp milk to the boiling syrup so that the scum comes to the top of the syrup.
7. Remove the scum with a spoon. Drop the rasogoolas in the clean boiling syrup, and boil for 10 minutes.
8. Sprinkle water on the boiling syrup every 2 minutes.
9. Remove from the heat and cool.
10. Flavour with rosewater, if desired.