1. Heat oil in a large casserole and fry the meat in batches.
2. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
3. Fry chopped onions in the same oil and stir over high heat for four minutes.
4. Grind together chillies, cardamoms, cloves and cumin.
5. Add the spice paste, ginger/garlic paste, coriander powder and bay leaf, stir until fragrant.
6. Add meat to the paste, gradually stir in the yoghurt keeping the sauce simmering.
7. Add in the cinnamon stick, hot water and pepper to taste.
8. Cover and cook in a preheated oven, for one and a half hours until the meat is tender and the sauce is reduced.
9. Discard the cinnamon stick and add in all the spices.