Cod liver oil is extracted from the liver of Cod fish. This
oil is full of healthy nutrients and is taken as dietary supplement.
It is one of the top sources of omega 3 acids and also contains high amounts of
vitamin D and A. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential nutrients and are important
in treating and managing heart disease. Being the top source of Omega 3 fatty
acids, cod liver oil is helpful in following ways.
• Reduce Triglycerides.
• Lower Blood pressure.
• Slow the development of plaque in the arteries
• Reduce the chance of abnormal heart rhythm
• Reduce the chances of heart attack and stroke.
• Lessen the chance of sudden cardiac death in people with heart disease
• Reduce inflammation.
• Helpful in arthritis including rheumatoid arthritis.
Besides above mentioned benefits cod liver oil is also helpful in repairing
wounds, good for high health omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamin A both are helpful
in this regard. Being also a excellent source of Vitamin D it also help in
improving bone health.
Nutritional Profile of Cod Liver Oil,
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), one teaspoon of
cod liver oil, weighing 4.5 g, contains:
• Energy: 41 calories
• Vitamin A: 4,500 international units (IU)
• Vitamin D: 450 IU
• Saturated fatty acids: 1.017 g
• Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2.102 g
• Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.014 g
• Cholesterol: 26 milligrams (mg)