• Approaching Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of ingrafting a sprig or shoot of one tree into another, without cutting it from the parent stock; -- called, also, inarching and grafting by approach.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Approach
• Approach Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) A access, or opportunity of drawing near.
- (v. t.) To take approaches to.
- (v. t.) To bring near; to cause to draw near; to advance.
- (v. i.) See Approaching.
- (v. i.) The advanced works, trenches, or covered roads made by besiegers in their advances toward a fortress or military post.
- (v. i.) A way, passage, or avenue by which a place or buildings can be approached; an access.
- (v. i.) Movements to gain favor; advances.
- (v. i.) To come or go near, in place or time; to draw nigh; to advance nearer.
- (v. i.) The act of drawing near; a coming or advancing near.
- (v. i.) To draw near, in a figurative sense; to make advances; to approximate; as, he approaches to the character of the ablest statesman.
- (v. t.) To come near to in place, time, or character; to draw nearer to; as, to approach the city; to approach my cabin; he approached the age of manhood.
- (n.) A stroke whose object is to land the ball on the putting green. It is made with an iron club.