• Availed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Avail
• Avail Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To turn to the advantage of; to be of service to; to profit; to benefit; to help; as, artifices will not avail the sinner in the day of judgment.
- (v. t.) To promote; to assist.
- (n.) Proceeds; as, the avails of a sale by auction.
- (v. i.) To be of use or advantage; to answer the purpose; to have strength, force, or efficacy sufficient to accomplish the object; as, the plea in bar must avail, that is, be sufficient to defeat the suit; this scheme will not avail; medicines will not avail to check the disease.
- (v. t. & i.) See Avale, v.
- (n.) Profit; advantage toward success; benefit; value; as, labor, without economy, is of little avail.