• Backward Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Already past or gone; bygone.
- (a.) Directed to the back or rear; as, backward glances.
- (a.) Unwilling; averse; reluctant; hesitating; loath.
- (v. i.) To keep back; to hinder.
- (a.) Late or behindhand; as, a backward season.
- (a.) Not advanced in civilization; undeveloped; as, the country or region is in a backward state.
- (adv.) Alt. of Backwards
- (n.) The state behind or past.
- (a.) Not well advanced in learning; not quick of apprehension; dull; inapt; as, a backward child.
• Backwardation Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The sellers postponement of delivery of stock or shares, with the consent of the buyer, upon payment of a premium to the latter; -- also, the premium so paid. See Contango.
• Backwards Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) By way of reflection; reflexively.
- (adv.) From a better to a worse state, as from honor to shame, from religion to sin.
- (adv.) Toward, or in, past time or events; ago.
- (adv.) On the back, or with the back downward.
- (adv.) With the back in advance or foremost; as, to ride backward.
- (adv.) In a contrary or reverse manner, way, or direction; contrarily; as, to read backwards.
- (adv.) Toward the back; toward the rear; as, to throw the arms backward.