• Bat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A sheet of cotton used for filling quilts or comfortables; batting.
- (n.) A part of a brick with one whole end.
- (n.) A large stick; a club; specifically, a piece of wood with one end thicker or broader than the other, used in playing baseball, cricket, etc.
- (n.) One of the Cheiroptera, an order of flying mammals, in which the wings are formed by a membrane stretched between the elongated fingers, legs, and tail. The common bats are small and insectivorous. See Cheiroptera and Vampire.
- (v. t.) To strike or hit with a bat or a pole; to cudgel; to beat.
- (v. i.) To use a bat, as in a game of baseball.
- (n.) Shale or bituminous shale.
- (v. t. & i.) To bate or flutter, as a hawk.
- (n.) A stroke of work.
- (n.) Same as Tical, n., 1.
- (n.) In badminton, tennis, and similar games, a racket.
- (n.) A spree; a jollification.
- (v. t. & i.) To wink.
- (n.) A stroke; a sharp blow.
- (n.) Manner; rate; condition; state of health.
- (n.) Rate of motion; speed.
• Batfowling Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A mode of catching birds at night, by holding a torch or other light, and beating the bush or perch where they roost. The birds, flying to the light, are caught with nets or otherwise.
• Batteler Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Battler