• Bleeding Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A running or issuing of blood, as from the nose or a wound; a hemorrhage; the operation of letting blood, as in surgery; a drawing or running of sap from a tree or plant.
- (a.) Emitting, or appearing to emit, blood or sap, etc.; also, expressing anguish or compassion.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Bleed
• Bleed Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To withdraw blood from the body; to let blood; as, Dr. A. bleeds in fevers.
- (v. i.) To lose or shed ones blood, as in case of a violent death or severe wounds; to die by violence.
- (v. i.) To pay or lose money; to have money drawn or extorted; as, to bleed freely for a cause.
- (v. t.) To let blood from; to take or draw blood from, as by opening a vein.
- (v. t.) To draw money from (one); to induce to pay; as, they bled him freely for this fund.
- (v. i.) To emit blood; to lose blood; to run with blood, by whatever means; as, the arm bleeds; the wound bled freely; to bleed at the nose.
- (v. i.) To issue forth, or drop, as blood from an incision.
- (v. t.) To lose, as blood; to emit or let drop, as sap.
- (v. i.) To lose sap, gum, or juice; as, a tree or a vine bleeds when tapped or wounded.