• Bond Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To dispose in building, as the materials of a wall, so as to secure solidity.
- (n.) The state of being bound; imprisonment; captivity, restraint.
- (n.) A vassal or serf; a slave.
- (n.) A binding force or influence; a cause of union; a uniting tie; as, the bonds of fellowship.
- (n.) The union or tie of the several stones or bricks forming a wall. The bricks may be arranged for this purpose in several different ways, as in English or block bond (Fig. 1), where one course consists of bricks with their ends toward the face of the wall, called headers, and the next course of bricks with their lengths parallel to the face of the wall, called stretchers; Flemish bond (Fig.2), where each course consists of headers and stretchers alternately, so laid as always to break joints; Cross bond, which differs from the English by the change of the second stretcher line so that its joints come in the middle of the first, and the same position of stretchers comes back every fifth line; Combined cross and English bond, where the inner part of the wall is laid in the one method, the outer in the other.
- (a.) In a state of servitude or slavery; captive.
- (n.) A unit of chemical attraction; as, oxygen has two bonds of affinity. It is often represented in graphic formulae by a short line or dash. See Diagram of Benzene nucleus, and Valence.
- (v. t.) To place under the conditions of a bond; to mortgage; to secure the payment of the duties on (goods or merchandise) by giving a bond.
- (n.) The state of goods placed in a bonded warehouse till the duties are paid; as, merchandise in bond.
- (n.) A writing under seal, by which a person binds himself, his heirs, executors, and administrators, to pay a certain sum on or before a future day appointed. This is a single bond. But usually a condition is added, that, if the obligor shall do a certain act, appear at a certain place, conform to certain rules, faithfully perform certain duties, or pay a certain sum of money, on or before a time specified, the obligation shall be void; otherwise it shall remain in full force. If the condition is not performed, the bond becomes forfeited, and the obligor and his heirs are liable to the payment of the whole sum.
- (n.) An instrument (of the nature of the ordinary legal bond) made by a government or a corporation for purpose of borrowing money; as, a government, city, or railway bond.
- (n.) Moral or political duty or obligation.
- (n.) That which binds, ties, fastens, or confines, or by which anything is fastened or bound, as a cord, chain, etc.; a band; a ligament; a shackle or a manacle.
- (n.) A heavy copper wire or rod connecting adjacent rails of an electric railway track when used as a part of the electric circuit.
- (n.) League; association; confederacy.
, Bail bond
• Bon Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Good; valid as security for something.
• Bondage Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Villenage; tenure of land on condition of doing the meanest services for the owner.
- (a.) Obligation; tie of duty.
- (a.) The state of being bound; condition of being under restraint; restraint of personal liberty by compulsion; involuntary servitude; slavery; captivity.
• Bond service Definition & Synonyms
- () The condition of a bond servant; service without wages; slavery.