• Case Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A box, sheath, or covering; as, a case for holding goods; a case for spectacles; the case of a watch; the case (capsule) of a cartridge; a case (cover) for a book.
- (v. i.) To propose hypothetical cases.
- (v. t.) To cover or protect with, or as with, a case; to inclose.
- (n.) An inclosing frame; a casing; as, a door case; a window case.
- (n.) A small fissure which admits water to the workings.
- (n.) The matters of fact or conditions involved in a suit, as distinguished from the questions of law; a suit or action at law; a cause.
- (n.) That which befalls, comes, or happens; an event; an instance; a circumstance, or all the circumstances; condition; state of things; affair; as, a strange case; a case of injustice; the case of the Indian tribes.
- (n.) A shallow tray divided into compartments or "boxes" for holding type.
- (n.) Chance; accident; hap; opportunity.
- (n.) One of the forms, or the inflections or changes of form, of a noun, pronoun, or adjective, which indicate its relation to other words, and in the aggregate constitute its declension; the relation which a noun or pronoun sustains to some other word.
- (v. t.) To strip the skin from; as, to case a box.
- (n.) A patient under treatment; an instance of sickness or injury; as, ten cases of fever; also, the history of a disease or injury.
- (n.) A box and its contents; the quantity contained in a box; as, a case of goods; a case of instruments.
• Case knife Definition & Synonyms
- () A knife carried in a sheath or case.
- () A large table knife; -- so called from being formerly kept in a case.