• Catching Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Infectious; contagious.
- (a.) Captivating; alluring.
- (n.) The act of seizing or taking hold of.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Catch
• Catch Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Act of seizing; a grasp.
- (v. t.) To take or receive; esp. to take by sympathy, contagion, infection, or exposure; as, to catch the spirit of an occasion; to catch the measles or smallpox; to catch cold; the house caught fire.
- (n.) A humorous canon or round, so contrived that the singers catch up each others words.
- (v. t.) To take captive, as in a snare or net, or on a hook; as, to catch a bird or fish.
- (v. t.) To lay hold on; to seize, especially with the hand; to grasp (anything) in motion, with the effect of holding; as, to catch a ball.
- (v. t.) To communicate to; to fasten upon; as, the fire caught the adjoining building.
- (n.) Something desirable to be caught, esp. a husband or wife in matrimony.
- (v. t.) To come upon unexpectedly or by surprise; to find; as, to catch one in the act of stealing.
- (v. i.) To spread by, or as by, infecting; to communicate.
- (v. i.) To be held or impeded by entanglement or a light obstruction; as, a kite catches in a tree; a door catches so as not to open.
- (v. t.) To get possession of; to attain.
- (n.) Passing opportunities seized; snatches.
- (n.) That by which anything is caught or temporarily fastened; as, the catch of a gate.
- (v. t.) To seize with the senses or the mind; to apprehend; as, to catch a melody.
- (v. t.) To reach in time; to come up with; as, to catch a train.
- (v. t.) To seize after pursuing; to arrest; as, to catch a thief.
- (v. t.) Hence: To insnare; to entangle.
- (v. i.) To take hold; as, the bolt does not catch.
- (n.) The posture of seizing; a state of preparation to lay hold of, or of watching he opportunity to seize; as, to lie on the catch.
- (n.) That which is caught or taken; profit; gain; especially, the whole quantity caught or taken at one time; as, a good catch of fish.
- (v. i.) To attain possession.
- (v. t.) To engage and attach; to please; to charm.
- (n.) A slight remembrance; a trace.