• Coupling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Couple
- (n.) The act of bringing or coming together; connection; sexual union.
- (n.) A device or contrivance which serves to couple or connect adjacent parts or objects; as, a belt coupling, which connects the ends of a belt; a car coupling, which connects the cars in a train; a shaft coupling, which connects the ends of shafts.
• Couple Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) One of the pairs of plates of two metals which compose a voltaic battery; -- called a voltaic couple or galvanic couple.
- (a.) See Couple-close.
- (v. i.) To come together as male and female; to copulate.
- (a.) Two rotations, movements, etc., which are equal in amount but opposite in direction, and acting along parallel lines or around parallel axes.
- (a.) A male and female associated together; esp., a man and woman who are married or betrothed.
- (v.) To link or tie, as one thing to another; to connect or fasten together; to join.
- (a.) That which joins or links two things together; a bond or tie; a coupler.
- (a.) Two of the same kind connected or considered together; a pair; a brace.
- (v.) To join in wedlock; to marry.