• Credited Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Credit
• Credit Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A ground of, or title to, belief or confidence; authority derived from character or reputation.
- (v. t.) To bring honor or repute upon; to do credit to; to raise the estimation of.
- (v. t.) To enter upon the credit side of an account; to give credit for; as, to credit the amount paid; to set to the credit of; as, to credit a man with the interest paid on a bond.
- (n.) That which tends to procure, or add to, reputation or esteem; an honor.
- (n.) Trust given or received; expectation of future playment for property transferred, or of fulfillment or promises given; mercantile reputation entitling one to be trusted; -- applied to individuals, corporations, communities, or nations; as, to buy goods on credit.
- (n.) The side of an account on which are entered all items reckoned as values received from the party or the category named at the head of the account; also, any one, or the sum, of these items; -- the opposite of debit; as, this sum is carried to ones credit, and that to his debit; A has several credits on the books of B.
- (n.) Influence derived from the good opinion, confidence, or favor of others; interest.
- (n.) Reliance on the truth of something said or done; belief; faith; trust; confidence.
- (n.) The time given for payment for lands or goods sold on trust; as, a long credit or a short credit.
- (n.) Reputation derived from the confidence of others; esteem; honor; good name; estimation.
- (v. t.) To confide in the truth of; to give credence to; to put trust in; to believe.