• Default Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To call a defendant or other party whose duty it is to be present in court, and make entry of his default, if he fails to appear; to enter a default against.
- (v. t.) To fail to perform or pay; to be guilty of neglect of; to omit; as, to default a dividend.
- (n.) Fault; offense; ill deed; wrong act; failure in virtue or wisdom.
- (n.) A failing or failure; omission of that which ought to be done; neglect to do what duty or law requires; as, this evil has happened through the governors default.
- (v. i.) To fail in fulfilling a contract, agreement, or duty.
- (v. i.) To fail in duty; to offend.
- (v. t.) To leave out of account; to omit.
- (v. i.) To fail to appear in court; to let a case go by default.
- (n.) A neglect of, or failure to take, some step necessary to secure the benefit of law, as a failure to appear in court at a day assigned, especially of the defendant in a suit when called to make answer; also of jurors, witnesses, etc.
• Defaulted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Default